The Copper Club Inc, is the leading organization for networking, educational grants and events for those who support the copper industry. It is comprised of copper producers, fabricators, refiners, dealers, traders and merchants. The Copper Club seeks to promote the interests of the copper industry. By honoring those who have forged pathways in the industry and paving new paths for students working toward careers in the industry, The Copper Club ensures the past, present and future of copper.
History of The Copper Club
The Copper Club was formed in 1944 to convene all participants in the copper industry. It is comprised of copper producers, fabricators, refiners, dealers, traders and merchants. It is the leading organization for networking, educational grants and events for those who support the copper industry.
The original members of the Copper Club were involved with the Copper Division of the War Production Board, which was established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to assure that necessary materials were available to the defense establishment. Members of the WPB’s Copper Division often gathered for lunch at Union Terminal in Washington D.C., and from these information session the Copper Club of World War II was created. After the ware, the name was shortened to Copper Club.
The first Copper Club dinner was held in December 1944 at Washington’s Hotel 2400, with about 125 in attendance. Subsequent dinners were held in New York, which at the time was the center of the metals industry and home to many of the country’s key copper companies.
From inception, the Club has made contributions, from accumulated excess funds, to causes and educational programs associated with the copper industry. However, at the Board of Directors meeting on Sept. 16, 1994, it was proposed and voted that all excess funds be used to establish a Grants Program to assist exceptional students preparing for careers in fields related to maintenance and expansion of the copper industry.
On August 17, 2000, the Copper Club (a complex trust) and the Copper Club Educational Fund, Inc. (a not-for-profit corporation) were merged and the surviving entity renamed The Copper Club, Inc. (a 501(c)3 charitable organization, TIN #13-3869564) which best serves the interest of the club and its members.
2019-20 Board of Directors
Stephen T. Higgins, Freeport-McMoRan*
Thomas S. Passek, Copper Development Association*
Bernard Schilberg, Prime Materials Recovery, Inc.*
Christophe Allain – Nexans
Marc Cameron – Rio Tinto Kennecott
Greg Christopher – Mueller Industries
James Cowley – Ocean Partners USA
Fred Demler – ED&F Man Capital Markets Ltd.*
Roberto Ecclefield – Codelco*
Mike Houston – Olin Brass
Daniel Jones – Encore Wire
Andrew Kireta, Sr. – Emeritus
Brandon Koo – LS-Nikko
David Lilley – Drakewood Capital Management Ltd.
Michael Lockwood – Commodity Risk Control Inc.*
Mark Loveitt – IWCC*
Katsuhiko Masuda – Mitsubishi Materials
Arthur Miele – Emeritus
Charlie Murrah – Southwire Co.
David Rea – Caterpillar Inc.
Stephen Rowland – Glencore*
Andrew Stonkus – Teck Resources Ltd.*
Fred Demler – ED&F Man Capital Markets Ltd.
Roberto Ecclefield – Codelco
Stephen T. Higgins – Freeport McMoRan
Michael Lockwood – Commodity Risk Control Inc.
Mark Loveitt – IWCC
Thomas S. Passek – Copper Development Association, Inc.
Stephen Rowland – Glencore
Bernard Schilberg –Prime Materials Recovery, Inc.
Andrew Stonkus – Teck Resources Ltd.